Saturday, November 15, 2008

Apple Box Ovens in Payson

Today we had the opportunity to go to another ward and give a presentation. Scott gives a monthly preparedness class and a gal comes from Payson. She was impressed by Scott's Emergency Heating and Cooking one and asked him to give the presentation to her ward. She asked me to give a presentation on the apple box ovens . We were delighted! If we can help one person get moving on emergency prep stuff our time is well worth spent.

I asked my SIL to babysit and my mom to help with the apple box direction and food prep. Thank you! We couldn't have done it without you! We showed up at the church at 8:30 and got the charcoal started and ready for the food. Kathleen, prepared a pizza(her stone was too big for the oven, so she improvised!), two loaves of bread and cinnamon rolls. YUM! Carb heaven! My mom and I had never tried cooking in an apple box oven in November. It was 29* when we got there...brrr! Luckily it warmed up to almost 50* before noon! (today * means degrees)

We first gave the demo of HOW you cook in it. Showed them all the pieces parts and got the ovens preheated. AS we got the food in Scott began his presentation. Scott, goes through so much work for his presentations. He researches untill he is blue in the face and can't see straight. Lucky for him, this was the second time for this presentation.

The pizza was done first. Kathleen, Elaine, and I were in the kitchen chatting and my mom came in and told me the pizza temp was down at 200*, The look on Kathleen's face was priceless! She said "but it is supposed cook at 385*. Five minutes later I brought in a perfectly cooked pizza. She breathed a breath of fresh air. She had not wittnessed the cooking. She didn't see it was doing fine at the 200*. Yes, it lost heat which is not optimal, but it cooked well at a lower temp, just longer. It was so worth the excitement I witnessed today on her face alone.

Next were the loaves of bread. I wish I had taken pictures of the food, as proof you can bake in a box. The bread was BEAUTIFUL! Kathleen, can really make bread! Yes, it took longer than the kitchen oven, but it was delish! The cinnamon rolls, were beautiful too. After the pizza, I believe everyone believed.

It is such a great feeling knowing you can cook with something so simple. Store some charcoal and your good to go. It is rewarding to see eyes light up in understanding.

Thank you Kathleen! Today was a great day!

No comments: