Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mediterranean Chicken and Lemon Soup


I have downloaded a 215pg cooking with food storage book. I decided to try a few recipes out of it. The first one I made tonight was

Mediterranean Chicken and Lemon Soup
2 cans chicken broth (I used 2cups per can)
1/2c. long-grain white rice
4 T. dehydrated carrot
1 can chicken chunks, drain
4 T. dehydrated peppers
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 can evaporated milk, divided
1 T. cornstarch
1 t. basil

BOIL broth in medium saucepan. Add rice, carrot and peppers; cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in chicken, lemon juice and garlic. COMBINE 1 tablespoon evaporated milk and cornstarch in small bowl; stir into soup. Gradually stir in remaining evaporated milk. Bring to just a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in basil before serving.


I used boullion instead of broth. I also used fresh carrots and peppers (I have a garden silly to use dehydrated). I also substituted garlic powder for two cloves of fresh garlic. OH, I used calrose rice too, that could be why it is a thick soup.

I was impressed, my kids were not though. If you are interested in the cook book, drop me a line. It is in WORD format.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This doesn't sound half bad. I would love the cookbook!